Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas to All

It is one of my favourite times again, the winter holiday season. I love Christmas time, and having a little girl who is truly experiencing it for the first time is adding so much of the magic again. Yes, last year Barbara was happy to have presents to unwrap, but she is really getting into the swing of things this year. She loves the rocking polar bear that moves as "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" plays, she recognizes Santa, she loves the German Christmas cookies I got at the Edelweiss Village, she thinks all Christmas lights are "pretty", and she enjoys reading the nativity books Heather bought for her. It brings much joy to my heart to see her pure innocence and happiness that this season is bringing. It truly is a joyful time.

To be honest, I have also found Christmas this year to be more hectic than usual. I'm not sure how it happened or why. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and I am finding that my own pace is a wee bit slower than I would like to remember. Maybe it is the extra things that I added onto my plate this year. Maybe it's that little bundle of energy that learned to take her first few steps a few months ago and has been running around ever since. Regardless of which I need to take some time to remember the real reasons that make this time special for me.

For me, Christmas has mostly been about family. As mine is growing (just under five months for the newest little Andrews to enter the world) I find that I must make the most of family not just during these festive times but all year long. I plan on avoiding the stereotype of a father who does not have time for his kids or wife. My best memories of Christmas past has always included family. The great food my mother used to make was often made with us kids. Buying the right gift for a brother or sister was always a careful ordeal. Having the entire family together for Mom's last Christmas was so very important, even though we did not know that it would be her last. It is one of the many blessings that I found looking back that we were able to do that for her. Since Heather has entered my life there have been many great Christmas memories with more family. I realise that many of us look back with a bit of hurt and pain at Christmas memories with family no longer with us. I volunteer at Zoo Lights, and this past Friday I spoke to a woman who was at the wishing tree. She said her family felt she was foolish writing down a wish that she knew she couldn't receive. She lost her son six years ago and wanted him back. She slipped away before I could say much more than I was sorry for her loss. I wanted to give her a hug from her son. I hope someone else will be able to do that for her.

Christmas has also been about looking for the best in things and people. It is about reaching out to those that are all around us with a smile, a hug, a helping hand, a donation, or just a listening ear. It is about going a little out of your way to perform a small act of kindness. It is about finding that little bit of forgiveness to someone who wronged us that we just have been thus far unable or unwilling to give. Christmas is to bring about joy to the world through our actions and our words. It is about bring to pass the peace on Earth and goodwill to men that we sing about but often do little to comprehend. There is love and sweetness that should be woven into the fabric of this holiday season if we are to truly to get the most out of it.

Yes, I have some silly Christmas traditions. I now own every single Muppet Christmas special (although I cannot find the disc for the Muppet Christmas Carol for some reason) that exists, including the before ever elusive Muppet Family Christmas. I cannot have a good Christmas without some lebkuchen, of which now that I know where the prime place in Calgary to acquire them will ever be a staple again. I need to listen to as many parodies of the 12 Days of Christmas I can find (my favourites being the 12 Pains of Christmas and the classic Mackenzie Brother version). That's all well and fine. At the end of the day (or the season as it were), I offer in my Top Ten List the Ten Most Important Traditions of Christmas.

10. Give a little something to those who serve you. There are many ways to do this. I personally try to give a little something to the people in retail and the service industry at this time. Those three-pack Lindt truffles are just about perfect for that. I try to make sure I always have some when I am Christmas shopping and then leave one behind when I make a purchase.

9. Give back to the community. For me, this is where Zoo Lights comes in, but it can include supporting any charity or non-profit organization. It includes shoveling sidewalks for neighbours and strangers.

8. Singing traditional Christmas carols/hymns. Yes, "Jingle Bells" and "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" are fun, but they would all be meaningless if there hadn't been that "Silent Night" where that special child was found "Away in a Manger". When I buy a Christmas album, there must be a few of those songs on it. If they are all party-type fun stuff with no mention of Christ, then it just is not for me.

7. Ward Christmas party. I have been fortunate enough to go almost every year. My church family is so integral to the success that I have had that I relish the opportunity to celebrate an important event with them. The fact that there is usually a great turkey dinner involved is great too.

6. Talking to strangers. Totally in the face of what my elementary teachers taught me, but this means offering a friendly hello and Merry Christmas to those around us.

5. Respecting all holidays, regardless of religion. I made a special effort this year to recognize the religious and cultural holidays and observances of many faiths. I know that there are many people who are not Christian, and while this is a country that was created largely by Christian people, it was created for all people of all belief, even if that belief is none at all. I make no apologies for wishing people a Merry Christmas, but there is no reason to pass along a desire for people to have a Happy Chanukah or a Habari Gani.

4. Forgiveness. We need to find forgiveness in our hearts, for He is willing to forgive us. This includes finding forgiveness for ourselves. We can give ourselves a gift in allowing us to move beyond the mistakes that we make.

3. Tell my wife how much she means to me. Yeah, this is a year long goal, but Christmas includes gift giving, and every day she gives me love, understanding, acceptance, support, peace, joy, and my children. She brings out the best in me and completes my life.

2. Spend time with family. I hope my children will be able to look back when I'm gone and be able to say that I was always there for them, not just at Christmas  but always. I hope the activities that we turn into traditions will be fond memories for them.

1. Keep the first six letters in Christmas the main focus.

A last little gift to you all, one of my favourite more modern Christmas songs.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

You are such a wonderful soul and a dear friend! Thank you for your kindness and wisdom that you spread to family, friends, and strangers alike! Dear Bry - I'm so happy for all the blessings that have been bestowed on you, a beloved gent! Many hugs to your family, especially my lil' doll Barbie. Cheers!
*P.S. - love that you blog my friend!

Mighty Elroy said...

Thanks Hunni! Barbie Doll had a great Christmas.