Sunday, December 1, 2013

Hmmmm, What to Write

You know, one of the things that I have found to be the most frustrating is deciding what to write about in this blog. I thought once to have a special blog to write about political views (being a staunch independent), but unless there is an election or scandal going on, the topic gets boring for me (and when those things are happening, it is depressing more often than not). I have no problem writing about everything that happens to a person, but I prefer to do that in a journal as opposed to online. quite frankly, I doubt my day-to-day ramblings are of any interest to anyone except those who are descended from my and want to learn more after I'm gone. I could write about all the funny things that Barbara does, or all the amazing things that Heather does, or all the trials and triumphs of my students, but I would not have the time for anything else after that. I could pick interesting little topics to write on, but unless something particular strikes me, I find myself looking at the keyboard and blank screen wondering what I could write about that could possibly be interesting enough for other people to spend some time reading about. So here I am, doing exactly that.

I made a goal to post a blog once a month. It is December 1, and I this will only be my 9th of the year. Oops. It is not like nothing significant happens to me ever. Why, just this past week I began rehearsals with my school's drama team (I play Chef Louis in "The Little Mermaid"), but I think I want to wait with writing about that until my journey is completed (and when I have a cool picture of me in my costume). I know some people who have very little blogging once a week let alone once a day, but for me it's different. As I get older, I feel less like making a big deal out of everything. It's great that people can and do blog like that, it just is not my style these days. With teaching, raising a daughter, helping out two wonderful step-sons, supporting the most amazing woman a man could have as a wife, church duties, etc, time is limited. I am not sure that this goal is attainable to me this year.

So how do I rectify this issue I have with setting a goal and then not reaching it? I teach my students and children that failing to reach a goal can be a positive thing. Perhaps what I need to do is find a better way to find topics to write on. Perhaps I can ask you, the two or three of you that actually read this, to provide me suggestions (just leave them in the comments). Perhaps I could start brainstorming at night a bunch of different topics, write them down, and then the first weekend of every month draw one at random. Or perhaps I could just write my frustrations at not being better at blogging...oh wait. Shucks, just did that. Oh well.

Here is the Top Ten list for this entry:

Top Ten Things I Hate About Being Sick (last week I had the flu, today a bad cold):
10. Sleep. No matter how much I get, it never seems to be enough.
9. The taste of medication. Come on Buckley's, tell the truth. You make sure your product tastes so horrible that people lie about feeling better so it is never used again.
8. My body using orifices as waste disposal (more than just the usual kind)
7. Missing work. I hate planning for a sub when I cannot even think straight.
6. Going back to work. I usually have to spend at least a day making up for all the problems caused by being gone because I couldn't make up good sub plans due to not thinking straight (see #7).
5. Getting the rest of the family sick. Not the kind of thing I like to share with my loved ones.
4. Daytime TV. Enough said.
3. Tissues become an endangered species.
2. Food tastes...sick, and not the definition of "sick" that today's youth use incorrectly. I mean everything I taste reminds me of being sick.
1. Feeling like an old person because when I get sick, I start complaining about how today's youth do things wrong, like using the wrong definition of "sick".

No comments: